It's amazing how much joy I (and I suspect most other parents) find in watching my children enjoy the same things I enjoyed as a child. This week we enjoyed several things that I hope create fond memories for them.
Camping in TX and LA is not the same as it was in UT. We can't just drive fifteen minutes and set up camp in a beautiful mountain scene. However, we have warm weather all year round and that is rather nice. It enable us to play outside almost year round, you know, if you can handle the heat of the summer.
This week we bought a backyard fireplace. I've decided the thing I miss least about TX is the fire ban. I love having no fire ban! We've had a blast with this thing roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. To see how excited my kids are for these simple joys makes me so happy.
It's an added bonus that we can burn the gazillion sticks that our backyard holds. Our trees shed little branches constantly and they make for great kindling.
The kids have enjoyed another lake in our back yard this week as well. It rained and poured forever on Monday. *
We also purchased a new grill this week and I am so happy. It was our belated Father's Day and Mother's Day gifts from 2011. I love having a grill. Easy dinner, easy clean-up. It's the best.We also purchased an air-popper. I have to have popcorn to replace the crunch of chips. Cabe loves chips and I can't resist them unless I have a replacement. Anyway, the air-popper is fantastic! As I watch their excitement, I can't help think of my own as a kid over such a simple joy.
*I have a little side story with this rain as well. I signed up to go to a play with Mr. M, so I ran the other kids to a friend's house. I was running late (as usual) and I rushed the kids in and threw in my diaper bag. After the play it was raining like crazy. I rushed over to the paid parking lot to get my car. When I got inside I realized I had left all my money and i.d. in the diaper bag. I sat there in a stupor for a moment and then ran out in the downpour over to a near-by bank I happen to have an account with. After answering a ton of questions they allowed me to cash a small check I had with me and all was well. Other than the long walk back and forth to the car to get the kids with Miss L dragging her feet and screaming the entire way because she was cold and wet. I have never been that wet in my life. And, yes, I have an umbrella but it was sitting home on the counter because I had used it to walk Mr. M to the bus and in my rush forgot it. I need more than one umbrella, I guess.
That is a great puddle. I am also very jelous of the firepit.
ReplyDeleteWe also have an airpopper, which i love! It isn't too healthy since i soak it with melted butter.
How fun, my kids love to roast marshmallows! And the side story, I almost always forget an umbrella. Sounds like you got soaked!!
ReplyDelete