Saturday, December 22, 2012

3 Miracles


I am trying really hard not to let myself get overwhelmed by life right now.  For the most part, I'm succeeding, but I have these moments where I realize how much I've (had to) let the ball drop lately and my mind starts to spin.  I can't believe how my planned December just flew out the window and it's just been a tail spin ever since.  However, I have received so many blessings recently too.  I've seen several huge blessings this month but I am calling these particular ones The Three Miracles.

Last night my phone messed up our reservation and booked us a king bed for all five of us.  Instead of fixing it my sweet hubs said if he had to he'd sleep on the floor.  However, he was out within five minutes and snug in-between babies.  I lay there for the first half-hour with my mind reeling and feeling so blessed. D had both arms wrapped around my arm and was snuggled right up.  Miss L was using my feet as a pillow underneath her pillow.  The hubs and Malachi were snuggled up on the other side of Mr.D. I could hear all of them breathing.  I loved being that close to them.  I just prayed and thought of all the things I love about my life.

I had a difficult time falling asleep.  I could not shut my brain off.  I finally started to focus on the Lord.  I talked some things out in my mind and received good, strong insight.  Inspiration that I know will help me in my life.  It was so calming.  It didn't help me fall asleep, but it did help me to be a better mom and wife today than I was yesterday.  I hope tonight I quickly and quietly fall asleep, but I will take a sleepless night for insight like that any time.

(Sorry it's not the best pic - I may replace it with a better one later.)

Wednesday of this week I was so sick.  I thought I might die.  I wanted to die.  It was horrible.  I laid on the couch in a semi-coma.  In my moments of coherency I'd stress over how close it was to Christmas and how little I was getting done.  Then I'd fall back into my coma.  I asked Cabe to give me priesthood blessing and almost immediately I started to see improvements.  He gave it to me before work on Thursday.  By the time he got home I was up and cooking dinner.  I didn't feel well by any means but I could function.  So many in my family have passed this same sickness around (we got it at my grandpa's funeral) and some have been hospitalized, others quarantined.  I had the worst of it for one day.  You can't tell me that is not a miracle.

Unfortunately Miss L and Mr. D have caught it also.  We were in Jackson, Mississippi picking up our Christmas presents from my in-laws (another story in itself) who drove from Nashville to deliver them to us.  On the way home from a wonderful day spent with them my poor babies were crying in the backseat.  They were so sick.  Their eyes had the glossed over look.  They complained of hurting ears and upset tummies, aching limbs.  I felt so bad. I knew exactly how they felt.  Miss L would look at me searchingly.  I had no idea what she was trying to see. Comfort? Help? Empathy?  I felt so helpless.

I turned to Cabe and said, "I just wish I could get them out of their car seats and hold them."  Of course I can't do that, but I made a discovery a few months ago.  I am now small enough  and flexible enough that I can climb around in the car if needed.  I hauled myself up and over the console.  The second I planted myself in between the small space between their two car seats they each grabbed an arm wrapped their little arms around mine, buried their heads into my shoulder and slept.  Hours of moaning and groaning stopped in an instant. Instrumental Christmas music was playing, the night lights were flashing by, Caleb put his hand on my leg that was resting on the arm rest in front of me.  My eyes watered at the comfort I was finally able to give and the beauty of the moment. To be that kind of comfort for another human being is a powerful thing. 

When we got home Miss L pleaded to sleep with me.  I wanted Mr. D and Miss L in with us anyway, fevers scare me and I want to keep and eye on them.  I couldn't leave out Mr. M, who so far has not gotten the sickness, but I wasn't about to sleep with all five of us in one bed again.  I blew up the air-mattress on our floor and everyone is comfortably tucked in somewhere in our room, as content as little sickies can be.  Who knows, maybe we'll keep them in there for all of Christmas break.

We often call these tender mercies in our church.  I'll take the Lord's tender mercies anytime and I hope to often be an instrument in giving them to others. 

2 comments:

  1. Made me all teary eyed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brit, It sounds to me like you are "letting the ball drop" on other things for the right reasons. You are a mom, and you are following your heart, taking care of and providing comfort for your babies. Priesthood is an amazing power isn't it? I have really learned to cherish every second, because one day, our kids wont be so little anymore. Hope you all get feeling better and have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete