Sunday, March 27, 2011

I'll Never Know

Many times in my life I have been told that when people think of me they think, "What you see is what you get."  I've never had a firm grasp on what they meant.  I assumed most people meant it as a compliment and I just smiled and moved on. But I think I'm starting to get it.  And I think it's changing me and I'm not quite sure if that is good or bad.

A lot of things bother a lot of people.  I just had no idea.  Probably weekly someone will tell me a story about someone's odd behavior in in my mind I'm thinking, "I've done that!" or "I would totally do that!" and previous to that conversation I had no idea anyone would think it was weird or maybe even rude.

I've always been a fairly open person. I've always talked about whatever I wanted to.  Rarely realizing I've made others' uncomfortable. I really am comfortable to talk about almost anything. As I meet more people and gain more experience I'm learning there are certain topics that are to be avoided around certain people.  The problem is, I have no idea what those are until that person puts me in my place.  I never mean offense to anyone, I am just learning that because I'm comfortable with it, doesn't mean everyone is. 

I'm often thinking back to situations where I realize that what I said or did was probably taboo and now there is nothing I can do about it. I wonder how many people I offended in the past or made uncomforable.  If you are one of them, I'm sorry!  I'm fairly certain I can honestly say I had no idea at the time. 

It's a strange realization to me.  And eye opening in other ways as well.  I'm sure the same can be said for me.  That things other people say or do that bother me, they probably have no idea!  They are just going about their business without a smidgen of realization that they are bothering me.  Growing up is a strange, strange thing I've decided.

7 comments:

  1. Well, there's no like button on blogspot, so just pretend that I pushed one :-)

    I seem to do the same thing. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you never offended me or Brian!

    And here's a good quote for you from Brigham Young: "He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome the way you are. I love that you can and will talk about anything, because I feel like I can talk to you about anything too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the record, I've never thought of you that way, unless it refers to honest. I know I can always trust your opinion and trust you to be honest with me, which I appreciate. I would rather know what is hiding under the cake than guess and find out I'm wrong. :) I love you, lady! You are a wonderful and amazing woman. Never forget that.
    Also remember, that wanting to be a better person and taking steps in that direction is good, but make sure you do it for the right reasons - love rather than sorrow or guilt. And never stop being frank and honest. It often seems so rare. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Elsha's quote by Brigham Young. Darling, there is absolutely nothing you can do if someone takes offense. You are amazing and anyone who truly knows you and is in a 'good place' themselves would never take offense to something you might say. Don't worry about others. Just follow the spirit and be yourself, that is what is important and the only thing that can make you happy with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you are offensive at all. I am the same way that you are. I am very open and honest about things. Matt has told me that I am very "straight up" about everything! LOL I think you are a great person and I thoroughly enjoy talking with you. =c)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think im just like that, to the 100th degree. in college my roomates would ask me how they looked if they actually wanted to hear the truth. I dont sugar coat my opinion. I dont really know how? if i take alot of medication i am much more mellow, so i hate being pregnant and not on anything and i know i am constantly offending people but i never know when exactly. I think that some people just speak their mind more than others. I personally love when people do. I hate when i cant read people and they dont just say what they are thinking. You have never offended me, but i am pretty hard to offend. I love that you say what you think!

    ReplyDelete